The Richmond Depot est. 1902

Richmond’s Pennsylvania Depot bore witness to 20th Century events that not only shaped Wayne County but also the nation. Historically and architecturally it is Wayne County’s glittering jewel.



Designed by world-renown architect Daniel Hudson Burnham, the genius behind such valuable historical edifices as the Union Station in Washington D.C., the Rookery building in Chicago and the Flatiron Building in New York, his name alone gives the structure international significance, as it is his last surviving artistic achievement in Indiana.

When it opened for business on Monday, July 7, 1902, it was the third depot to be on the site there and quickly became a flashpoint of activity for the high and the mighty, for the busy and stalwart, for the risen and fallen, for presidents and fugitive slaves, for war veterans, world-class entertainers and countless denizens from all stripe of life.


All presidents who held the office from the late 1800s up through the 1950s came through by train. This included Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Franklin Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman and Dwight D. Eisenhower.



The Pennsylvania Depot at its peak had a 24-hour restaurant, all-night news racks, a shoeshine stand and a barbershop.

At this site luminaries such as Annie Oakley, Buffalo Bill Cody, Lew Wallace, William Tecumseh Sherman, Carrie Nation, John Phillips Sousa, Helen Keller, Will Rogers, Booker T. Washington, Louis Armstrong, Hoagy Carmichael, Joe Louis, Robert Frost, Marion Anderson, Billy Sunday,

Gene Autry,Clyde Beatty, Pablo Casals, Rear Admiral Richard Byrd, Tom Mix, Ken Maynard, the Marx Brothers, Bill “Bojangles” Robinson, William Tecumseh Sherman, George Burns, Gracie Allen, Fletcher Henderson, Jack Benny, Sammy Davis Jr., Babe Ruth, Joe DiMagio and Eleanor Roosevelt paraded through.